Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Buggering about with Bugbears


Here is a work in progress of my Reaper Bone's bugbear leader.  About three quarters done methinks.  How do I know he is a leader?  Because he is pointing.  It's a fantasy wargaming trope.


It's amazing the difference good lights can make to your work.  The first bugbear I painted at ther start of this year is dreadful in comparison.  He shall be repainted to match.  I have four of the Reaper bearbuggerers, originally purchased for my Arcade Demo of Skulldred.  Feeling virtuous by finishing them up.

So I figured out what I am doing with that uninspiring troll mini I purchased on a whim.  He is now gonna be a dire bugbear.  Shhhh they exist in my world.

So I started layering up the fur.  I will drill and pin some ears onto him once that is dry.  The trick to good fur is lube.  I use vasolene but KY jelly will work nicely too.  Apparently nose or forehead skin oils work too, according to Kev White.  I remain... strangely grossed out by that.
Apply the putty firmly and smooth it in, then shape it to give it the right general bulk.  Once that is good, grease it up like Groundskeeper Willie.  Drag your tool in downward wiggly strokes, tugging upwards slightly to create each layer.

Hey, I shall do a video tute about it soon (nudge nudge wink wink).

See previous post about VIDEO TUTES!


5 comments:

  1. Now that is a fine bugbear. Is it me or do the Mantic ogres look like bugbears too? Maybe just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking bugbear, and the sculpting is looking very good. Apparently I haven't been lubing my greenstuff up enough... now there's a sentence that sounds wrong out of context.
    How well does the greenstuff adhere to the Bones plastic? I would have thought it would have a hard time sticking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sticks well, but wash your bones in soapy water and rough the surface up with the tip of an exacto to give it something physical to bite onto- diagonal cross hatching at different angles of the blade will give undercuts to grip. This will ensure very strong grip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rule with greenstuff I have is this- if it squeaks, you need more lube. The tool should glide over the surface, not stick- so any sounds mean it's sticking. I put a smear of lube on my left thumb between knuckle and nail, and wipe my tool across it. It means I have hella soft cuticles too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He could just be pointing because he's played by Harrison Ford. Looks great!

    The other rule with green stuff is it isn't glue. It's still a good idea to use a little super glue too help bind.

    ReplyDelete